The Science of ASTAXANTHIN
The All-Natural Athletic Performance Enhancer - Strength. Stamina. Endurance
What do you and salmon have in common? As an athlete let’s hope it’s not a pinkish-reddish hue. Let’s hope its stamina, strength, and endurance. You see, salmon are super strong. Tenacious too. During the spring they exert all their energy (day after day) swimming upstream to reach their spawning grounds.
It is an ingredient found in PROGENEX Omega+. It’s called astaxanthin, but it’s pronounced “as-tuh-zan-thin.”
Astaxanthin is a powerful antioxidant found in the algae salmon consume, and believe it or not, it’s actually what’s responsible for their pinkish-reddish hue. More importantly, astaxanthin is what’s responsible for their extraordinary strength and endurance too. As an athlete serious about enhancing your athletic performance, astaxanthin has awesome implications for you.
Astaxanthin: A Powerful Antioxidant and Anti-Inflammatory
Touted as the most powerful antioxidant in the world, astaxanthin has received considerable coverage in the press for its incredible ability to deliver the following remarkable results:
- Decrease Lactic Acid Build-Up: A Japanese study indicated that athletes who daily consumed astaxanthin experienced up to a 29% decrease in lactic acid buildup (Sawaki, 2002).
- Increase Strength: Another study, in Sweden, showed that a six-month regimen of astaxanthin aided in a 62% increase in the number of deep knee bends the test group was able to execute. During the same time, the placebo group increased only 22%. The astaxanthin group increased their strength, on average, 3 times faster than the placebo group (Malmsten, 1998).
- Reduce Joint Pain, Inflammation, and Increase Strength: Astaxanthin has shown tremendous promise in joint pain and inflammation reduction in recent studies as well. In an eight-week study by the Health Research and Studies Center regarding a loss of grip strength due to tennis elbow, those taking astaxanthin showed a 93% INCREASE in grip strength.
- Decrease Pain: The Journal of the American College of Nutrition reported that rheumatoid arthritis sufferers showed a 35% improvement in their reported pain levels and their ability to maintain their daily activities increased by 40% after only eight weeks of astaxanthin (Journal of the American College of Nutrition. 21(5):Oct, 2002).
- Boost Recovery and Eliminate Soreness: The Human Performance Laboratories at the University of Memphis conducted a three-week study on healthy individuals who experienced knee joint pain after a strenuous weights workout. Predictably the group given a placebo experienced no relief from their knee pain symptoms. However, the group given astaxanthin indicated NO knee soreness post workout (Fry, A. (2001). “Astaxanthin Clinical Trial for Delayed Onset Muscular Soreness.” Human Performance Laboratories. The University of Memphis. Report 1, August 16, 2001.)
Additional Benefits of Astaxanthin
Studies concerning the remarkable abilities of this powerful antioxidant continue to abound. A quick Google search containing the keywords “astaxanthin and athletic endurance” or “astaxanthin and athletic performance” will have you reading for hours. Even if you are not an athlete, increasing your intake of natural astaxanthin will give you a daily increase of strength, stamina, and energy. Additionally, as one of the few antioxidants that can cross the blood brain barrier, astaxanthin delivers antioxidant protection to the brain, eyes, and central nervous system
Increasing Your Intake of Astaxanthin
Mounds of Salmon
By now you are probably sold on increasing your intake of astaxanthin. But before you start scavenging the sea for the microalgae rich in this powerful antioxidant, or trolling the ocean in search of the various creatures that feed upon it, allow me to inform you of an easier and better way to secure the perfect and precise dose of astaxanthin. No fishing hooks required and no insane amounts of consumption (trust me, you’d have to eat a heck of a lot of salmon, krill, and/or crawfish). All you need to do to secure the precise amounts of astaxanthin necessary to experience its many ameliorating effects is buy yourself a bottle of PROGENEX’S Omega+ sports nutritional supplement.
Omega+ is the best natural source of astaxanthin. It’s all natural (not synthetic) and contains the precise amount necessary to experience the maximum benefits. In fact, our PROGENEX spent close to a year researching and developing PROGENEX Omega+ sports nutritional supplement. Through our research, we have learned the most effective ingredient dosages to get maximum results. Simply stated, too much astaxanthin is less effective than the right amount. Our proprietary formula contains the precise amounts of ingredients for optimum results.
Less is More
When it comes to astaxanthin, the typical mentality that more is better is not necessarily so. In fact, a recent Korean study showed that 2 mg of astaxanthin works better than 8 mg in reducing inflammatory markers like C-Reactive protein. Also, plasma levels of astaxanthin did not have a difference after four weeks between the 2 mg and 8 mg dose (Park, 2010). So while you could take more (and many companies are more than happy to sell you more) it wouldn’t be any more effective nor raise your plasma levels.
However, as with every supplement, absorption is key. Astaxanthin is best absorbed and most effective when coupled with a phospholipid base such as krill oil. That is why PROGENEX Omega+ is such a killer product. Our combination of krill oil and natural axtaxanthin results in the most bioavailable, inflammation fighting, speed, power, and endurance enhancing Omega 3 product on the planet!
So if you are ready to experience decreased inflammation, joint pain, and lactic acid build-up–as well as boost recovery, eliminate soreness, and increase strength–try PROGENEX Omega+. Your “Super Salmon” endurance, strength, and stamina awaits!